Head lice, scabies, infectious diseases, flu’s and the common cold can all be interrelated to the IPM program. This section is designed to help the school district with various problems from choosing a mosquito repellent to how to wash your hands. Many of the resources in this section will take you to other websites like the CDC, TXDSHS, and EPA.
There are a variety of school pests that can transmit many types of diseases and the IPM coordinator often must work with school health officials to manage a problem. These resources are suggested guidelines to help you get started.
- CDC Fight the Bite prevention posters [PDF] great flyer to help educate students & staff
- West Nile Fite the Bite Flyer in English [PDF]
- DEET Answers [PDF] From U.S. EPA answering questions about DEET and other options for repellents
- TX DSHS West Nile Factsheet [PDF]
- Choosing and Using Insect Repellents [PDF]
- Interactive Tool to help you choose an insect repellent [External Website]
- Sample Mosquito letter to parents [Word]
- Mosquitoes and the Diseases they transmit[PDF]
- Mosquito control around the home[PDF]
- Mosquito control around the home – Spanish[PDF]
- Letter to parents developed by University of Georgia Cooperative Extension - What to when you child brings home head lice [PDF]
- Texas Department of State Health Services on Head Lice [External Website]
- Bed Bugs in Schools (Michigan) [PDF] This document has flow chart, fact sheets and sample letter to parents when a bed bug is found in the classroom.
- Bed Bugs go to School [PDF] Florida Pest Press with information to send out district wide on what to do with bed bugs when found in a school
- Bed Bugs and Book Bags is a youth enrichment curriculum. The curriculum is designed for third through fifth grade students, although it can be adapted to any age group, to help educate about bed bugs.
Other Public Health Issues
- Preparing for the Flu: A Communication Toolkit for Schools [External Website]
- CDC Keeping Hands Clean [External Website]
- CDC Recommendations for Pets in the Classroom [External Website]
- Reducing Pesticide Exposure at Schools CDC/NIOSH - [PDF]
- Reducing Contagious Illness in the Child Care Setting [PDF]
- Head Start/Childcare staff – Need to know about pesticide poisoning [PDF]
- How Does Indoor Air Quality Impact Student Health and Academic Performance [PDF]